Wednesday 4 November 2009

MEXICAN RESTAURANTS

The latest restaurant to take residence in the doomed building that has housed the failing Outback and Square is Mexican franchise Chiquitos. Before I went there I felt no real sense of excitement as Mexican food has become kind of a standard meal at home. Fajitas, Tacos, Nachos, Burritos are all so easily made at home now and, with the Discovery brand, actually taste good. I went to the restaurant and had both the burrito and fajitas, neither was as good as the ones I can make with a cheap box from the supermarket.

Only five years ago there was a real gap for Mexican restaurants. You couldn't get good mexican food at supermarkets, and in Stevenage there were no restaurants doing the food. When in London you could get it and it tasted good but I'm pretty sure a large part of that was the novelty of it. You weren't thinking I could go home and cook better than this for 2 or 3 quid. I don't think Chiquito's will last that long here, it seems with the restaurants that are staying open people either want fast food, takeaway, or a more upmarket restaurant like Prezzo or Ask. These themed, average priced restaurants that serve up average food just dressed up as if its from its country of origin look a bit flimsy in times where people are looking at value more than ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment