Wednesday 28 October 2009

FANTASTIC MR. FOX

Went to see it last night and I was not disappointed. I was excited by the trailer. It indicated that just because the film was for children did not mean it would be any less of a Wes Anderson film. I laughed more than I have for any adult comedy I can remember seeing at the cinema recently. The deadpan delivery and quirky comedy remains similar to his early films but the combination is yet to tire me.

Jason Schwartzman as Ash, Fantastic Mr. Fox's son, is basically playing the role he perfected in Rushmore but is the highlight of a film that moves quickly and effortlessly to its finale. His jealousy of cousin Kristofferson holds the biggest emotional pull of the film. Other mentions should go to the characters of Kylie the possum (Wally Wolodarsky) and the rat (Willem Dafoe) who steal most of the good lines after Ash.

It's the type of film I wish had been around when I was a kid, a film I could love then but then look back to as an adult and find it even better, and not just for nostalgia's sake. It's also the type of film that I would force my future kids to like to try and shape them into mini versions of me. I guess that's as big a compliment I can give.

No comments:

Post a Comment